Benefit #1 – Improved pH Levels!
All of your bodily systems, including your immune system, function optimally when your body’s pH is slightly alkaline. Acid salts can build up and stiffen cells thus allowing the aging process of our bodies to begin prematurely. An alkaline environment causes acid salts, such as phosphates and urates, to dissipate. When your body’s pH is within normal parameters you become the beneficiary of better health!
Keep in mind that the minute your food is cooked, it begins to become acidic. This is why “raw” diets are preferable when someone is in a highly diseased state of being. While an alkaline diet is very beneficial, we hope to demonstrate in the following pages that there is no substitute for the ease of drinking pure and clean alkaline water.
Benefit #2 Body Detoxification!
Alkaline water cleanses and detoxifies the entire body by neutralizing pH levels. As we become better hydrated, the body is more readily able to flush and rid itself of harmful toxins while allowing for key nutrient absorption.
Cellular Level Detox
Each cell in your body can store toxins and fatty acids. Alkaline water contains bicarbonates, which neutralize this acidic waste, and allows it to be flushed from your system.
Alkaline water forces the body to release acidic toxins, which have been stored over time, so they can be expelled from your body. As an added benefit, kidney stones are more readily dissolved in an alkaline solution!
Alkaline water helps the muscles neutralize and flush away lactic acid so that extreme soreness becomes a thing of the past.
The Mayo Clinic website states that the liver is responsible for more than 5,000 different functions in the body every single day! Alkaline water increases the levels of antioxidants in the liver, particularly Superoxide Dismutase (SOD), which helps the liver work more efficiently at cleansing your body.
Benefit #3 – Hydration!
Have you heard? Headaches could very well be an initial sign of dehydration. Many studies have pointed to the vast physical benefits of drinking ionized alkaline water. It super-hydrates your body by breaking down the electrical bonding of water molecules and restructuring them into microclusters which are more quickly and easily absorbed. Our bodies are mostly water (roughly 65%), and every living cell in the body needs water to keep functioning. After 3 days without it, dehydration can readily lead to peril. Water is essential for life!
Benefit #4 Improved Elimination!
Improved elimination goes hand-in-hand with improved hydration since being hydrated helps to keep your digestive system, particularly your colon, lubricated. When you become dehydrated your colon is the first organ to feel the effects, resulting in constipation. Constipation can lead to a myriad of health issues, including hemorrhoids, rectal prolapse, and increased toxicity.
Toxicity occurs when water is unnecessarily built-up in the colon for a period of time. Waste then bio-degrades, and toxins are then released into your system. In fact, it is not unusual for most people to walk around with an additional five pounds of waste in their intestinal tract. NOT GOOD! It has been shown that the intestines work best in an alkaline state at a pH of 8.3. Drinking alkaline water enhances elimination by promoting the growth of microflora. Microflora have the job of breaking down toxins for elimination, thus, allowing your body to work more efficiently which can often lead to weight loss.
Benefit #5 Improved Metabolism!
Many of the foods you eat, particularly processed junk food, increase the acidic level in your body. Harmful toxins thrive in an acidic environment! As a result, your body will create fat cells, which can lead to obesity, to facilitate in neutralizing the acid. Alkaline water naturally neutralizes the acids in your body. Accordingly, your body does not feel the need to create neutralizing fat cells.
By drinking alkaline water in combination with a clean diet, your cells will no longer store these fatty acids which are toxic in your system. Your body will begin to release excess fat, and you will begin to feel more energized. In addition to weight loss, your body will be able to absorb nutrients in a more efficient and impactful manner. Increased nutrient absorption lends itself to a healthier state of being.
Alkaline water, along with proper nutrition and exercise, will produce astounding results. Throw bottled water, fad diets and trendy exercise regimens out. Healthy, clean and natural living never goes out of style and generates more consistent results for a longer period of time.
Benefit #6 Cardiovasular System!
When your body is in an acidic state, it is difficult to assimilate crucial nutrients and minerals. Among others, magnesium is regarded as being critical to cardiovascular well-being. In fact, magnesium is so imperative for optimal heart health that paramedics and doctors give heart attack patients an injection of magnesium to instantly stabilize their blood pressure and heart rhythm.
Having deficiencies in trace minerals, such as magnesium, can cause heartbeat irregularities and high blood pressure. In order to maintain healthy mineral levels, it is best to accrue between 10% – 20% of your daily magnesium from the water you drink. Were you aware that drinking alkaline water has been shown to reduce high blood pressure? A water ionizer converts magnesium bicarbonate in tap water into magnesium hydroxide.
This is more easily absorbed by your body as a quicker and more concentrated means of delivering the daily recommended levels of calcium and magnesium. If your body is adequately hydrated, there is more life-giving water in your cardiovascular system. Thus, the heart does not need to work as hard to pump blood through your veins and arteries. Additionally, maintaining an alkaline state in your body will also reduce bad, or low density lipoprotein (LDL), cholesterol levels. Healthy cholesterol and blood pressure levels allow your heart to be more efficient, improve blood flow, and ultimately, perform its daily function with less strain.
Benefit #7 Athletic Enhancement!
As most people are aware, exercise is one of the most important things you can do for your health. It has many great benefits for your muscles, skin, weight, and mood. Exercise, nevertheless, produces byproducts such as free radicals and lactic acid which cause sore muscles, pain and cramping, and lowers the pH of bodily fluids drastically.
Alkaline water helps to disperse these byproducts, as well as:
1. Gives you more energy due to its ability to inhibit oxidation.
2. Allows for faster post-workout recovery by flushing lactic acid out of your muscles. 3. Gives you greater endurance as it counteracts muscle fatigue and improves lung function. 10X more oxygen is delivered in the body as you drink water at a pH level above 9.
4. Helps you enjoy improved hydration as microclustered ions penetrate 8X faster at the cellular level.
Optimal athletic health comes with sweating out metabolic waste, replacing water loss and terminating chain reactions that damage cells as a result of free radical activity. While important during your exercise regimen, drinking alkaline water is equally significant during the recovery period following rigorous exercise. With a better hydrated body, you will be able to use oxygen more efficiently, enjoy greater endurance and recover faster from physical exertion.
Benefit #8 A Modern Day Fountain of Youth?
It is irrefutable that keeping your body hydrated is the key to looking and feeling younger! Did you know that drinking alkaline water offers unprecedented benefits to fight the process of aging? How? The body experiences oxidation when there is free radical damage. Oxidation is a primary cause of aging. When free radicals invade the cells in your body, DNA damage can occur. Upon DNA replication, the damage is also replicated.
Alkaline water contains potent antioxidant properties. These antioxidants protect your cells from unnecessary, destructive effects on the body. When your body receives a surge of negative electrons, facilitated by drinking alkaline water, positively charged ions are neutralized (as well as their potential to damage and cause aging). Have you ever imagined that you could actually reverse the aging of your organs? It’s a fact! Alkaline water reaches all systems, to not only go skin deep, but to actually turn back the hands of time.
Benefit #9: Improved Skeletal (Bone) System Health!!
99% of calcium and 80-90% of phosphorus is present in your bones and teeth. These minerals provide rigidity and hardness needed to support functional strength in everyday activities. If your body’s blood level is not in proper pH balance, it will draw calcium from your bones and teeth to buffer excess acidity. This can cause many health issues down the road, including osteopenia and osteoporosis.
Studies have shown that alkaline water can eliminate the stripping of calcium, which in turn, helps your body to properly absorb these minerals, which results in the restoration of calcium and phosphorus in your bones and teeth. In fact, studies on women over 75 years of age demonstrated that there were decreases in factors that speed bone loss. This was proven through the measurement of parathyroid hormone levels and a peptide test that measured the rate of tissue turnover.
Alkaline water helped these women to create bone tissue faster than they were losing it, and the rate of calcium loss was lower than that of a control group. Fun fact: Did you realize that your body absorbs calcium from water more readily than calcium from food? Why? Food has to be broken down by digestive enzymes, converted into a substance suitable for absorption, and assimilated into the body. This entire process takes about 6 – 8 hours. Alkaline water doesn’t have to go through the digestive function. It’s readily absorbed as soon as you begin to drink! How much easier can it be?
Benefit #10: Improved Skin (Integumentary System) Health
Ever wondered about the largest organ of your body? It’s your SKIN! Yes, that’s right! One of the best things you can do for healthy, glowing skin is to drink alkaline water. In a relatively short period of time, you should begin to see improved skin tone, elasticity, and skin clarity. Drinking alkaline water is like having a daily facial.
Are you familiar with an oxygen facial? Chances are that your favorite day spa offers one. Drinking alkaline water at a 9.5pH level has the potential to provide 10X more oxygen to the body. It’s like having an oxygen facial daily without the added cost and time commitment. Your skin will feel amazing and everyone will want to know the secret to your glow!
Benefit #11 Improved Circulation
Alkaline water helps bring the body into pH balance as it provides lots of oxygen and a lower blood viscosity – increasing circulation. As is stated in the Harvard Health Publishing, “Is Blood Like Your Waistline – The Thinner The Better?”:
1. Among other things, chronic inflammation, diabetes, homocysteine, the stickiness of your platelets, and, of course, your genes, can increase the viscosity, or thickness, of your blood.
2. “Sticky” blood damages the heart and blood vessels.
3. Red blood cells have the greatest influence on the blood’s viscosity since they account for up to half its volume. Your hematocrit is a measure of both the number and the size of red blood cells. In men, a normal hematocrit is between 41% and 53%, meaning red blood cells account for 41%–53% of blood volume; in women, it is between 36% and 46%. At these percentages, it’s easy to see why keeping them pliable is a must.
4. Drinking 10 – 12 glasses of water a day can make your blood thinner and less sticky.
Many sufferers of diseased states could benefit from improved circulation. One such example would be diabetics. Diabetics, in general, struggle with circulatory problems which can ultimately result in amputation of digits, or limbs, in a worst-case scenario. Yet another group would be those with cardiovascular disease. As blood platelets have an important role or function in atherosclerosis and formation of thrombi, malleable platelets that allow for lower platelet aggregation or concentration could aid in decreased incidence of coronary heart disease.
While diabetes and cardiovascular disease are the two chronic illnesses that we’ve made mention of as examples, they are certainly not the only two conditions in which improved circulation can assist. As such, alkaline water is a potentially convenient, easy, and inexpensive tool to compliment disease management and the prescribed protocol from your healthcare provider!
1. Coassin, M. Ursini, and F. Bindoli. Antioxidant effect of manganese. Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics Vol. 299, Issue 2, Dec. 1992: 330-333 http://www. science direct.com/science/article/pii/0003986192902822
2. Fenton, T. R., et al. Causal assessment of dietary acid load and bone disease: A systematic review & meta-analysis applying Hill’s epidemiologic criteria for causality. Nutrition Journal. 2011: 10:41.
3. Fornai, M., et al. Effectes of bicarbonate-alkaline mineral water on digestive motility in experimental models of functional and inflammatory gastrointestinal disorders. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18773120.
4. Gasnarrini, G., el al. Effects of bicarbonate-alkaline water on gastric and gallbladder emptying in normal subjects. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/ pubmed/2000176
5. Harvard Health Publishing. (2014, March). Is blood like your waistline – the thinner, the better? – Harvard Health. Retrieved from https://www.health.harvard.edu/ newsletter_article/is-blood-like-your-waistline-the-thinner-the-better
6. Heil, P., and J. Seifert. Influence of bottled water on rehydration following a dehydrating bout of cycling exercise. Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition online: http://www.springerlink.com/content/kn41764j65165u3x/fulltext.pdf
7. Kitahora, et al. “Electrolytic Water in Medical Treatment.” Symposium of the 25th General Assembly of the Medical Congress of Japan, 1999.
8. Koufman, J. A., et al. Potential benefits of pH 8.6 alkaline drinking water as an adjunct in the treatment of reflux disease. The Annals of Otology, Rhinology and Laryngology. 2012: 121:431.
9. Kopko, P. How Alkalinizing the Body Promotes Detoxification. http://www. lifeionizers.com/blog/health-more/how-alkalinizing-the-body-promotes-detoxification.
10. Maalouf, N., et al. Low urine pH: A novel feature of the metabolic syndrome. University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas.
11. Mercola, J., Dr. (2009, January 22). Fascinating Facts You Never Knew About the Human Brain. Retrieved from https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/ archive/2009/01/22/fascinating-facts-you-never-knew-about-the-human-brain.aspx 12. Mitchell, H.H., Hamilton, T.S., Steggurda, F.R., & Bean, H.W. (1945). The chemical composition of the adult human body and its bearing on the biochemistry of growth. Journal of Biological Chemistry, 158, 625-637.
13. N.a. The Hidden Menace. Integrated Health Services, Acidemia. Retrieved from http://www.inhealthservices.com.au/FRT_acidemia.htm
14. Rylander, R., and M. Arnaud. Mineral water intake reduces blood pressure among subjects with low urinary magnesium and calcium levels. BMC Public Health, 2004. Retrieved from http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2458/4/56
15. Schwaffenberg, G. K. The alkaline diet: Is there evidence that an alkaline pH diet benefits health? Journal of Environmental and Public Health. 2012; 2012; 1.
16. Sutton, J.R., N. L. Jones and C. J. Toews. Effect of pH on muscle glycolysis during exercise. Retrieved from: http://www.ncbe.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7261554
17. Tulchinsky, T. H. Micronutrient deficiency conditions: global health issues. Public Health Reviews (2010); 32-243-255. Retrieved from http://www.publichealthreviews. eu/show/f/28
18. Wynn, E., et al. Postgraduate symposium positive influence of nutritional alkalinity on bone health. Conference on Over- and Under-Nutrition: Challenges and Approaches. Proceedings of the Nutrition Society, Cambridge, 2010, vol. 69, Iss. 1 , 166-173.