We see it every year as the New Year approaches. We assess our health and start making resolutions for the new year. People all across the country jump on the weight-loss band wagon, only to fall off in a couple weeks, or for some, a few days. We all know someone who walks into the local gym, registers, pays and never returns.
For your weight-loss plan to succeed, you must be ready to take on the challenge and make the life changes that will help set you up for long-term success. It’s important to evaluate your reasons for wanting to lose weight.
Is the timing right for you? What are your expectations? Your answers to these questions can either keep you on your path or derail your efforts before you even begin. Knowing that you need to make changes in your life and actually doing it are two different things.
To see if you are ready take this quiz. This could be key before you spend your time, energy and financial resources.
WEIGHT LOSS READINESS QUIZ
Are you ready to lose weight? Your attitude about weight loss affects your ability to succeed. Take this Readiness Quiz to learn if you need to make any adjustments before you begin. Mark each item True or False. Be honest. It’s important that your answers reflect the way you really are, not how you would like to be.
- ___ I have thought a lot about my eating habits and physical activities to pinpoint what I need to change.
- ___I have accepted the idea that I need to make permanent, not temporary, changes in my eating and activities to be successful.
- ___I will only feel successful if I lose a lot of weight.
- ___I accept the idea that it’s best if I lose weight slowly.
- ___I’m thinking of losing weight now because I really want to, not because someone else thinks I should.
- ___ I think losing weight will solve other problems in my life.
- ___I am willing and able to increase my regular physical activity.
- ___I can lose successfully if I have no “slip ups.”
- ___I am ready to commit some time and effort each week to organizing and planning my food and activity programs.
- ___Once I lose some initial weight, I usually lose the motivation to keep going until I reach my goal.
- ___ I want to start a weight-loss program even though my life is unusually stressful right now.
SCORING THE WEIGHT LOSS READINESS QUIZ
- To score the quiz, look at your answers to items 1, 2, 4, 5, 7, 9. Score “1” if you answered “true” and“0” if you answered “false.”
- For items 3, 6, 8, 10, 11, score “0” for each true answer and “1” for each false answer.
- To get your total score, add the scores for all. If you scored 8 or higher, you probably have good reasons for wanting to lose weight now and a good understanding of the steps needed to succeed.
For the nutrition side, request help from someone who has a nutrition background and always keep a food journal. The food journal is to create awareness of what you are eating and when instead of counting calories.